Sunday, October 30, 2016

Capoferro: A Status Update

I've started and stopped posts on Capoferro at least four times over the past several weeks, for a variety of reasons. Lack of time is a big one, but not knowing what I want to say or how I want to structure it is a much bigger problem. Essentially, I wanted to do a close read through of Capoferro's "The Art and Practice of Fencing," and I hoped that posting notes here would keep me accountable and moving forward. But adding the blog to the picture seems to have had the opposite effect. So instead I'm going to start marking up a "chapter" a day and finish the week with highlighted short term and long term takeaways. And since I wanted to start giving myself shorter term notes and goals again, that should fold in well with weekly plans.

I have no prepared chapter notes for this week, but for next week I'll aim to have something to say on "Of Fencing In General" through "The Body" that isn't a multi-page analysis of his writing style. (In my defense, that's been the focus of most close readings in my life.)

Other plans for this week:
- Footwork, attempts at offline footwork
- Lunges, attempts at offline lunges
- Thoughts on guards/dagger guards and transitions
- Disengages, disengage+add distance+lunge
- General exercise/fitness
- Not letting travel interrupt my usual schedules (This is always a problem.)
- Going through duello.tv to find appropriate videos for the week

Mostly back to basics and better habits for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment